Grilled Arugula Parsley Pesto Salmon with Berry Arugula Salad with Roasted Sweet Potatoes
This berry said is "berry" good (I had to). I have to be honest, I was not a big fan of fruit in my salads. But, that all changed after I wanted to incorporate my family's raspberries and Jersey fresh blueberries into a salad. This recipe made me love to add fruit in my salad!
Once a month I teach a cooking class for HealthBarn USA at libraries around me. The event is called Books & Cooks. This past week we did a taste test of different flavors for kids (and some adults): umami, sweet, sour, salty, and bitter. Here are the items they taste tested: edamame, arugula, limes or lemons, oat bran pretzels, strawberries, dark chocolate, and semi-sweet chocolate chips. After tasting the different flavors, they made their own concoctions. The most popular combo was chocolate and strawberries. The adults also joined in and made a salad with edamame, arugula, pretzels for croutons, strawberries, and topped with lime or lemon for the dressing. They all enjoyed it! With that being said, I had a ton of arugula left so I wanted to incorporate it into a meal. I used the arugula for pesto and for the salad.
Grilled Arugula Parsley Pesto Salmon
Berry Arugula Salad with Roasted Sweet Potato
Ingredients for salad:
- 4 cups arugula (can use: kale, spinach, spring mix, etc.)
- 1/4 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup raspberries
- 1 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 1/8 cup cucumber slices
- 1 sweet potato, chopped
- Lemon herb dressing (recipe)
Ingredients for pesto salmon:
- 2- 4oz salmon fillets
- 2 cups arugula (can use: kale, spinach, spring mix, etc.)
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast * (You can use 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese)
- 1/2 lemon, juice
- salt and pepper
- Turn oven to 350 degrees. Chopped sweet potato in small pieces, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 30 minutes, until crisp.
- Prepare pesto and top salmon fillets with pesto. Grill on medium heat for 8-10 minutes, until fat is released. We used foil since we used our new grill and it was not seasoned yet.
- While salmon is grilling, toss salad ingredients together.
- Once salmon is done, spread more pesto on top.
- Plate with salad first and top with salmon.
- Enjoy this summery dinner!
Raspberry Nutrition Tips
- 1 cup=64 calories, 1.5g protein, 15g carbs, 8g fiber
- Anthocyanin: antioxidant from the red color; reduces inflammation that leads to cardiovascular disease; age-related mental decline
- Ellagitannins: a polyphenol; for cancer prevention
- Potassium: reduces formation of kidney stones, preserves bone mineral density, regulated fluid balance and electrical activity of the heart and muscles (Normal amount needed: 4,700mg/day)
- Fiber: helps keep blood sugar stable, GI health, heart health (Women: 25g/day, men:30g/day)
- Vit C: antioxidant, immunity, protect eyes from UV light damage, skin health
- Manganese: bone formation, collagen production for your skin, protects against UV light damage, protect against free radical damage