Salmon burger with corn slaw & a side of sweet potato and beet chips
There is nothing like a burger on a summer day! I am not talking about a bacon cheeseburger topped with mac & cheese (someone just told me they had that burger recently)...but a more refreshing burger with some summer slaw! Most summer parties are filled with high fat and salted burgers. These burgers are filled with rich omega-3 fatty acids (good for your heart & brain), vit B12, vit D, selenium, and a high quality protein. It would be so cool to go to a BBQ that was serving salmon vs a cheap beef burger... but having a party can be expensive so I understand why they are filled with high caloric foods than nutritious foods.
When I am out, I usually skip the white bun and make a burger salad. This time I made a slaw instead of a salad. It not only added crunch, but it also added more flavor! I love non-mayo coleslaw that is filled with other veggies and adds a crunch to the meal. It is not only refreshing but also healthy! In this cole slaw, I added some Jersey sweet corn to give it more of a summer feel.
Ingredients salmon burger:
- 8 oz salmon (wild caught)
- 2 tbsp green onion
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs*
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley
- 1 egg
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp garlic and herb seasoning
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 raw ear of corn, kernels removed**
- 1 cup red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 cup green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/2 lime juice
- 1 tbsp cilantro
- 1.5 tsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
* I used frozen salmon that I defrosted, so I needed more bread crumbs. If you are using fresh salmon, you may need less breadcrumbs
** I only eat raw corn since it is pulled fresh daily at my family's farm market
- Make slaw, the longer it sits the better. In a medium bowl, add corn kernels, red and green cabbage, and carrots. In a small bowl, mix together apple cider vinegar, olive oil, honey, mustard, lime juice, and salt and pepper. Toss cabbage mix with vinegar dressing.
- In a food processor, mix all salmon burger ingredients together. Make 2 burgers or 4 small burgers. Grill 4-5 minutes on each side.
- While the burgers are grilling, prepare avocado cream. In a food processor, blend avocado, lime juice, cilantro, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Plate the slaw, salmon burger, and top with the avocado cream OR enjoy between whole wheat hamburger buns!
- Enjoy this refreshing and healthy meal! Pair with my beet and sweet potato chips.