Going bananas!

What a great Monday! Started my day with a 6 mile run in 41 degree weather (without wind it is perfect running weather). Than went to weight lifting class and lifted for 45 min. I will put my weight lifting protocol in the "Get your fitness on!" page.  Then I worked for 6 hours. When I got home my mom made sauteed cabbage with olive oil, bacon, paprika, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.  I skipped the bacon, but the rest was AMAZING! I also ate another sweet potato (do you understand my blog name now?). I am addicted to those little guys! They are so healthy and delicious.

For dessert I had my typical banana "ice cream":
I get very ripe bananas from the store before they throw them away. Also over-ripe bananas are usually cheaper since they are just going to go in the trash! So if you see a bunch, grab them! When you get home, take the peel off, wrap individually in clear wrap, place in a ziplock bag, and place in a freezer. Having them individually wrapped makes it easier to grab one out to make this "ice cream"!

Ingredients:
1 frozen banana
1/4 cup milk of choice (Soy or skim)
Additions:
1/4 cup frozen blueberries (or any fruit)
A bunch of JERSEY spinach leaves
Peanut butter
Dark chocolate
Use your imagination
Directions:
Break banana into smaller chunks, add milk and additions, blend together, and ta-dah you have an amazing, healthy dessert!

*Fun tips about bananas 

  • One average banana has 13% of your daily-recommended amount of potassium.
  • Potassium stimulates muscles, nerves, and brain cells.
  • Helps reduce blood pressure and stroke risk.
  • Good source of fiber.
  • Helps suppress appetite.
  • Supports fat metabolism.
  • Good source of Vit B6, Vit C, and Potassium
  • When baking replace butter with mashed bananas for a nice rich, dense texture, use equal amounts. Cooking time will be cut down, so keep an eye when baking.

Comments

Popular Posts