Just call me Popeye!

SPINACH, SPINACH, and more SPINACH!!!
I had spinach at every meal today! I actually did not mean too, it just so happened that I was surrounded by this beautiful green leaf.

Breakfast: Omelet with 2 eggs and JERSEY spinach with a piece of whole wheat toast
Snack: Skim mozzarella string cheese
Lunch: Salad with JERSEY Spinach, iceberg lettuce, carrots, tomatoes, and tuna; veggie soup and crackers; my mom's applesauce
Snack: Almonds
Dinner: Healthy spinach and artichoke dip (recipe below) with "Food Should Taste Good" multigrain chips and spinach fettuccine with shrimp, tomatoes, and basil.  (recipe below)
Snack: Grapes

If you can't tell from reading my food log, I love to eat! I eat every 2-3 hours or become grumpy if I go too long without food.

I made this dip for my bible study tonight.  They are my test subjects.  Hopefully they enjoy it as much as I did!


Healthy spinach and artichoke dip
Serves: 6-10 people
Ingredients:

  • 10 oz frozen spinach and 3 oz of JERSEY spinach, chopped
  • 1 can of artichokes
  • 3/4 cup fat free Greek Yogurt
  • 4 green onions, finely sliced
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1-1/4 cup part skim shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1/2 cup Romano cheese or parmesan cheese, shredded
  • 2 Tbsp whole wheat bread crumbs
  • pinch of red pepper
Directions:
  1. Defrost frozen spinach in microwave, chop fresh spinach.
  2. Drain and rinse artichokes (to lower sodium content), chop. Squeeze out excess liquid.
  3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray 6 X 9 dish. 
  4. Combine all ingredients together, except bread crumbs, and mix well.
  5. Place in dish and sprinkle bread crumbs on top. 
  6. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until brown on top.
  7. Serve hot.
When my mom went shopping she bought spinach fettuccine for me! It is the little things in life that excite me.



So for dinner we made fettuccine with shrimp, tomatoes, and basil. YUMMM!

Spinach fettuccine with shrimp, tomatoes, and basil
Serves: 6 people
Ingredients:
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 1 lb uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 4 large tomatoes, chopped
  • 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped (Be gentle, basil is fragile and turns brown easily. Ripping with your hands may work best)
  • 3 large garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 tablespoons minced shallot
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • Pepper to taste
  • Grated parmesan cheese
  • 1 bag (12 oz) of "al dente" spinach fettuccine
DIrections:
  1. Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat.
  2. Add shrimp, tomatoes, basil, garlic, shallot, salt, and pepper.
  3. Cook until shrimp turns pink (3 min).
  4. Cook pasta- add to boiling pot of water for about 3-4 min, drain, place in bowl.
  5. Toss tomato sauce on top of fettuccine and sprinkle with cheese.
  6. Enjoy!



Comments

Popular Posts