Pesto, whole wheat pasta, and roasted winter vegetables

O the holiday season should be a joyful time! But, I went shopping today and realized how much I hate it! I couldn't focus in the store and I was going insane! So when I got home I started to make dinner to relax a bit. It is weird how being in the kitchen relaxes me, I take my mind off of everything and focus on cooking (or baking). Many people ask me to come and cook for them, but I find that very stressful.  When I am cooking for myself I throw things together, hoping that the ending turnout will be delightful! Tonight's dinner, I have to say, was a success! I was contemplating if I should combine root vegetables with pesto, but it turned out to be tasty. I made whole wheat pasta with pesto and roasted vegetables.

Whole wheat pasta with pesto and roasted vegetables
Serves: 3
Ingredients:
  • 1 large sweet potato, chopped
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil, separated
  • 1 cup cauliflower
  • 1 cup broccoli
  • 1 cup brussel sprouts, halved
  • 1/4 cup red pepper, chopped
  • 1/4 cup red onion, sliced
  • 2 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 2 tsp pepper
  • dash of salt
  • 3 Tbsp of pesto
  • 2 1/2 cup whole wheat pasta 
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Chop sweet potato (can be smaller or larger pieces). Place sweet potatoes on baking sheet and drizzle with 1 tbsp of olive oil. Roast for 20 min.
  3. While the sweet potatoes are in the oven, prep the garlic, cauliflower, broccoli, brussel sprouts, red onion, and red pepper. 
  4. Once sweet potatoes are soft to touch, add the prep. Drizzle remaining olive oil over vegetables. Sprinkle salt and pepper over the vegetables. Roast for 20-30 min (until desired).
  5. While the vegetables are roasting, cook the pasta according to package.
  6. Drain pasta when al dente.
  7. Add pesto to drained pasta, mix.
  8. Once the vegetables are done, add to the pasta, and mix.
  9. Enjoy with some homemade kale chips (below).

Kale Chips
Serving: 3
Ingredients:
  • 1 Long kale leaf, break into pieces
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • Dash of salt
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Break kale into pieces and spread on bake sheet.
  3. Drizzle olive oil and salt.
  4. Bake for 8-10 min (tips get a bit brown, like top picture)
  5. Enjoy this healthy chip!






Comments

Popular Posts