Easy Tomato Sauce with Salmon

Even though I am not Italian, I love tomato sauce or gravy (whatever you call it). There is so much you can do with it, other than adding it to pasta. I enjoy topping my spinach with it, mixing couscous or quinoa with it, and putting it with fish and chicken. My mom has taught me how to make this simple tomato sauce and it is so healthy and delicious!
Quick and Easy Tomato Sauce
Serves: 3
Ingredients:
  • 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
  • 4 regular tomatoes, chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tbs of olive oil
  • 1 tbs of dried basil (fresh basil is a better option)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
  • 1 cup spinach (optional)

Directions:
  1. Heat oil in a skillet. 
  2. Add remaining ingredients.
  3. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes at low heat.
  4. Add it on anything from pasta to fish! I topped my salmon and pasta with it (recipe below).
Salmon with Pasta and Tomato Sauce
Serves: 1
Ingredients:
  • 2 teaspoon olive oil
  • 4 oz frozen salmon fillet, thawed (or fresh)
  • 2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • 1/2 cup of cooked pasta (I used 3 whole wheat lasagna noodles)
  • 1 cup of any tomato sauce (I used my Quick and Easy Tomato Sauce)
Directions:
  1. Heat olive oil in skillet at medium heat.
  2. Sprinkle Italian seasoning on both sides of salmon.
  3. Place salmon in hot skillet, cook on both sides for about 3 minutes on both sides (depends on the thickness).
  4. Place pasta on plate, 1/2 cup tomato sauce, salmon, and top with the rest of the tomato sauce.
  5. Enjoy this nutritious pasta dish! 


*Fun Facts About Salmon*
-Eat fish 2-3 times a week
-Rich in omega-3s
-Low in mercury
-Good source of B12, selenium, niacin, B6, phosphorus, magnesium, vit D
-Decreases cardiovascular problems
-Improves mood and cognition: the DHA (type of omega-3 fatty acid) is found in the brain
-Anti-inflammatory
-Decreased cancer risk
-Wild- caught salmon recommended to buy, if you have the choice
-To cook: broil for 7-10 min; grill (not under direct flame);on skillet, each side for 3-5 min


Comments

Popular Posts