Summer Solstice in NYC

   Mind-Body-Spirit 

As much as I love running and strength training, I also love yoga. I love how relaxing it makes me feel, even during the most stressful times, and what it does for my body.  I believe everyone can benefit from practicing yoga a few times a week, especially runners.

I am all about high intensity workouts and being crazy while workout, so when it comes to yoga class I have to really focus on my intention of the class and realize that it is fine to take a break from the high-intensity workouts (I am sure my body thanks me!). At the end of class I never regret coming because I feel stretched out, relaxed, and balanced.


I think balance should be practiced in what we do in life with our relationships, workouts, diet, time, etc.

When it comes to your diet, balance is also key. Eating in moderation and not depriving yourself of what you love it eat is key! 
Ways to balance your diet:
-Eat a rainbow of fruits and vegetables to provide a variety of vitamins and minerals. 
-Try different good-quality (lean) protein sources, ex: bison burgers, beans, pork, tofu, quinoa, etc. (There are more out there then you think and experiment with them).
-With dairy, there is so much out there with different yogurts, different non-dairy milk, variety of cheeses, etc. that can be added into your diet or replaced for your 3 cups of milk a day; make it exciting.
- So many people are scared of bread and grains (carbs), no need to be! Grains are good for you, when consumed smart: 6 servings a day: 1 slice of bread=1 serving! They provide you with energy, many of your B vitamins, fiber, and come in many different forms: pasta, bread, cous cous, crackers, popcorn, the list can go on and on. Grains are not the only source of carbs, they are also found in produce, dairy, and starches, so blend them into your day for a balance of your carb intake.
- From olive oil, coconut oil, avocado, nuts, fish, and many other different sources of fat, it important to balance the right type of fat in your diet (too much= stored=leads to overweight and health risks). Keeping saturated fats low (ex: red meats) and incorporating more mono-/poly-unsaturated fats (avocado, fish, nuts) in our diet.
-Don't cut out the things you love, just eat them in moderation (ex: half or less of what you would normally eat, save the other half to have a bite every night to make it last!)
-Experimenting with different recipes can make meal time exciting and eating more enjoyable. Grab a group of friends or family to enjoy your meals with.
-Throughout the day balance your meals (ex: 500 calories for each meal with carbs, pro, and fat involved + two snacks 150 calories each with some protein and fiber to keep you full till the next meal= 1800 calorie day.) Everyone's calorie needs are different, but that is just a general example of keeping you meals balanced. Plan and prep meals ahead of time!


When it comes to physical activity, doing different workouts will engage a range of muscles, plus it will keep working out interesting! Incorporating yoga gives you stretches and moves that you normally would not do in a cardio or strength training workout. I personally have found that being involved in yoga, running, tough mudders, strength training, and other activities provides much more than my physical activity for the day. Being involved in a variety of activities keeps my workouts interesting and I rarely get bored, I meet tons of different people, my body can perform better, and I travel to cool spots for events (ex: yoga in Time Square).


Every year, on the first day of summer, thousands of yoga enthusiasts come to Time Square in New York City to practice yoga together.  The event is run by Athleta and called Summer Solstice yoga in Times Square, "Mind over Madness". The event is free (whoaaa) and you can pre-register online or wait to see if they have room left (not recommended). The first 1,200 people in line receive a free Athleta yoga mat, which I have received this year and last year. Along with the mat, you can choose between a few classes that go on through out the day. At the end of the class you can go and get some freebies, like: Tribe hummus and pita chips, Luna bars, Smart water, Tampax shirt, and a few other booths to check out. 

I picked the 1-2:30pm Bikram yoga with an instructor from NYC and a few others that pitched in. I met some cool people sitting next to me and I ended up having a great time, even though I went by myself. It is so cool to be able to focus and find peace in the middle of Time Square, a once a year experience.

The crow pose (I still am working at it!), but it is my favorite pose! I hope to one day be able to do a head stand and other fun-challenging poses!


 This is the view my back was turned to!


Here is the view from the front and the main camera on that stick thing.

Just chilling waiting for the class to start!

 Here is the link for the live stream, I am the video a few times (wearing outfit in above picture). When you open the link, go to the video named: Bikram yoga with Donna Rubin and special guests. I am to the left of the play button before you start the video. 

 I love this picture! How to find me: find the guy in the green shirt (he is in the middle), look behind him, and I am two to the right. There are 4 girls in just sports bra and black pants, including me, in line behind him. I was lucky to have great neighbors to do yoga with!



Coffee and Dinner in Soho

After a morning train ride, walking to my check-in location, Bikram yoga class, subway to Soho, I was in need of coffee and some studying. In a few hours I was meeting with my friend Dylan for dinner at Dos Caminos. In the meantime I wanted to find a coffee shop to charge my phone and do some studying. 

My first coffee shop visit: La Colombe in Soho
(Picture from La Colombe website)

Their ice coffee was so so good!! There were only 5 tables there and I was lucky enough to  get one! I charged my phone because there was 6% and I never have been in that part of NYC, so it needed some charging to navigate me around! I did about 10 minutes of studying, but it was not the best place to study because of all the people coming in and out. So I decided to find another coffee shop...

My second coffee shop visit: Cafe Cafe in Soho
This is where I sat, plugged my phone in, dipped my cranberry- pistachio biscotti in my coffee, drank my delicious french vanilla coffee, and studied. I met a young lady from San Francisco who is doing international sales and now lives in NYC. She was also studying! 

See the white sticker on the chair? Every piece of furniture was for sale and the stickers had the price. The chairs and tables were old, all different, and just amazing looking! I love how all the furniture was different and I so wanted to buy a piece but it would have been difficult to take back on the train.

There were two levels and I was in the corner upstairs...perfect for studying!!
I am excited I found this spot, here is my view (not very exciting haha)!

Dinner time at: Dos Caminos
(Pic from Google)
After traveling all around Soho for this restaurant, I finally found my friend waiting at the table outside, it was the perfect night for dinner outside. If it was not for her directions, I would still be walking around the block in Soho looking for this restaurant.

We started off with some margaritas
I drank the blue pomegranate: la pitaya blanco, blueberry pomegranate, and fresh lime juice... This drink hit the spot!

When you are at a Mexican restaurant, you have to get the guacamole and salsa!
Our guacamole was the mango, papaya-habanero one...delicious!!

For dinner: Pescado Tacos
I switched for the whole wheat tortillas instead of plain flour. This taco had grilled mahi-mahi, spicy slaw, smoked chile aioli, and guacamole...you need to try it!!

I was so full, so we did some shopping after. I got this really cute dress for one of the two  weddings I am going to soon. Love it!
(Hard to see, but trust me, it is cute!)

If you know me, I love my desserts. Dylan introduced me to Cupcakes By Melissa. These cupcakes are bite-sized cupcakes, 3 for $3.00. I got the cupcake of the month: pina colada, mint chocolate chip, and cookie dough. I ate them so quickly that I did not get to take a picture, so I found one on line.
 

Those cupcakes were a great end to a perfect day in NYC! I cannot wait to do it all again next year, hopefully I see you there! :) 










Comments

Popular Posts