Tough Mudder Philadelphia 2013

-Me during the electric eel obstacle

Tough Mudder 2013
I have a love-hate relationship with the Tough Mudder: it is difficult, but so worth it!  When I did it in April of 2012, it was 34 degrees out and my body was frozen for most of it. It was a good time and quite difficult, which showed with the bruises all over my body. For some reason I decided to do it all again, but in June. I enjoyed the 90 degree weather vs the 34 degree weather. It did not feel very hot since we were in and out of water from the obstacles. When you do it in 34 degree weather, it feels like the water gets frozen to your clothing, which makes you more cold. 

I am used to running 1/2 marathons where you are running for a certain time, but the Tough Mudder is more about being a team and having fun. It is cool how everyone comes together to help each other. Having a good team will make the race enjoyable. I had the best team and I am so excited to do it again next year!

(Ladies: you may want some strong guys to help with some obstacles, like the Berlin Wall!)


My Tips for the Tough Mudder

1. Start hydrating a couple days before, throughout, and after the race. Take advantage of each water station, bananas, and the electrolyte gels they provide.
-dehydration= decrease in aerobic activity, fatigue, electrolyte balance, muscle cramps

2. Choose team members that are close or at your physical fitness level.

3. The longest strip of running was a 5k (for our race), add running into your workout plan. A few months before, buy a good pair of running shoes to start building up your running endurance. Slowly add a mile every week or every other week.

4. Your strength will be tested with pulling yourself over walls, carrying logs, and many other obstacles. Do strength workouts like: pull-ups, rows, overhead presses, squats, deadlifts, and compound moves to work your whole body.

5. What to pack: sunscreen, towel, change of clothes and shoes, a brush, water, sport drink, banana, nuts, peanut butter sandwich (some kind of snack), and cash.
-You will want to consume carbs and protein after ex: peanut butter banana sandwich. Their food choices are not very healthy and are expensive there, so prepare your own healthy food to refuel your body.

6. What to wear: No cotton!, water wicking clothing, and pants that cover your knees
-cold weather= fitted long sleeve (I wore Under Armor), tight capri pants that covered my knees, old running shoes, thin socks. I wore layers in the beginning that could be thrown away, just to get my body warm. 
-heat weather= sports bra or tight water wicking tank, tight capri pants that covered my knees, old running shoes, thin socks. 
7. Plan on relaxing the next day, and maybe the day after that, to recover!

8. Enjoy the time with your friends and recognize how strong you really are!



The one guy in our group wore a GoPro to show what we went through. This is my group during the first half of the mudder, many obstacles are missing, but it is a great video!  





So when are you signing up?

Comments

Popular Posts