Philadelphia Rock & Roll Half Marathon

On Sunday I took part in my 5th half marathon, the Rock & Roll half marathon in Philadelphia. I also set a personal record (1:45:25), but it was a difficult race. I can say that I did not train as much as my previous races, my life has become so busy lately and getting those training days were even more difficult.
I did this race with my uncle Don and cousin Tara, whom are both in amazing shape! Without Tara, I would have not pushed myself as much, but she kept me motivated. After she ran ahead, I found other ways to motivate me.
Me, Uncle Don, Tara
My PR!

Motivation during a long run
-Wear a pace band around your wrist so you can see if you are under or above your goal time.
-Run each mile for someone you are close to and who motivates you.
-Find someone who looks like your pace or a bit faster and never let them leave your sight (you may find different people throughout this race)
-Find a motivational quote to say to yourself. (The quote that was on repeat in my head was: Pain is temporary, regret is forever! It made me realize that pushing myself for 1 hr and 45 min to hit my PR, does not compare to how great I will feel for days and months.)
-High-five the cheers on the side.
-Read the signs on the side. (My favorite one this race was: run like there is a hot guy in front of you and you are being chased by a creepy guy.)
-Find music that motivates you.
-Check out the scenery and realize how beautiful the scenery is. (Since the race was in Philly we ran through the city and down Kelly drive, next to the rive, so pretty!)
-Remind yourself of how much you worked for this race (and how much you paid).
-Have a support team at the end to remind yourself to run the last bit a little harder.

I have to admit I am in more pain after this race compared to other races. My back and my hips are killing me. Recovery is such an important time to prevent injury, prevent inflammation, build muscle, for yourself mentally, replacing glycogen stores, and to get you refreshed for the next training session. Types of ways to recover: days off, massage, topical creams, ice baths, anti-inflammatory medicine, cross-training, proper nutrition. 

Recover With Proper Nutrition
(Competitor Running and Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics)
-Restore fluid and electrolytes that are lost in sweating with a sports drink, water and something salty (pretzels), and fruit (bananas, peaches, cantaloupe)
-Replace muscle glycogen stores with carbohydrates (fruit, chocolate milk, whole wheat bread, brown rice, sports drink, etc.).
-Reduce muscle damage and stimulate the building of new tissue with protein (smoothie, chocolate milk, sports drink, nut butter, lean meats, beans, hummus, tofu, etc.).
-Prevent exercise-induced free-radical damage with antioxidants (fresh fruit and veggies).
-Protect muscles against free-radical damage by strengthening muscle cell membranes with healthy fats (fish, nuts, flaxseeds, chia seeds).
-Eat a small snack or meal within 60 min of the race or activity
[example of snacks: Smoothie with dairy (yogurt/milk) and fruit; sports drink or bar; whole wheat toast with peanut butter and a banana]
[example of meals: turkey sandwich with veggies, low-fat milk, and apple; brown rice with beans, salsa, avocado, whole grain tortilla chips or whole wheat tortilla; lean meat with veggies and quinoa or other whole grain products]
-What I ate/ drank after the race: chocolate milk with extra protein and a whole wheat crepe with eggs, veggies, and cheese.

My favorite place to do a race is in Philadelphia, it is more flat and close to home. My mom, dad, brother, sister-in-law, my friend Kimmy, and aunt Carol came to cheer us on! Afterward, we usually go to get brunch at the Reading Terminal. My usual post meal race is a whole wheat crepe with eggs, veggies, cheese, and a refreshing water. Than my dad buys me flowers! I am so blessed to have such an amazing support team!
My mom, me, and my dad 

Kimmy and I

My brother Matt and sister-in-law Kylee

Whole wheat crepe with eggs, veggies, and cheese

My pretty flowers from my dad (sorry about the bad lighting!)

I can't wait for my next race! 


Comments

Popular Posts