Fall Harvest Salad

     The leaves are changing, pumpkin spice is everywhere, cinnamon is in the air, a nice breeze is blowing, and the boots are starting to come out; fall is here! I love this time of year! To appreciate the fall season, I decided to dehydrate apples into chips. Cooking the apples, with cinnamon, for 3 hours in the oven makes the house smell like fall! I will then add the apple chips to a fall harvest salad with dried cranberries, walnuts, spring mix, and feta cheese. To go along with the apple theme, I will make an apple cider vinaigrette with local apple cider that our farm sells. 
    The smell and taste of fall is amazing! For my family and I, this is our busiest time of year. I don't get to enjoy the fall like most people, but it is still a fun and busy time of year for me. For me, I have a new semester of school, three jobs, and training for a half marathon in November.  Busy is not even what I call it, I don't have my mind most days! I still love this time of year, no matter how crazy it is!
      For my family's farm, Duffield's Farm, we have hayrides to pick apples and pumpkins, scarecrow making, fall birthday parties for kids, a corn maze, face painting, barn bounce, pony rides, apple cider donuts, apple cider, an over abundance of pumpkin desserts, homemade soups, Jersey fresh produce, and the list goes on and on. We work long hours to set up and have everything ready for the public to enjoy their fall experience at our farm. 

     This Saturday (9/27), we have a local hospital, Kennedy Hospital, that is hosting a free health fair. My aunt and I, helped them plan and will be helping them run it. They will have different health screenings and activities for kids and adults. I will be doing a nutrition activity with kids, if you come stop by and say hi to me! It is cool to see how hospitals are starting to connect with my family's business and the nutrition connection of farming with health care. 
    
Fall Harvest Salad

Apple Chips
-3 apples (honey crisp, Jona gold, gala, golden delicious, any flavor)
-cinnamon 
-optional: sugar mixed with cinnamon
Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
  2. Slice apples in a mandolin or with a knife (mine were too big for the mandolin, so I used a knife). Slice as thin as you can so they don't become soggy when baking.

  3. On a baking sheet with wax paper, place one layer of apple slices.
  4. Sprinkle with cinnamon or cinnamon and sugar.
  5. Bake for 3 hrs.



Fall Harvest Salad
-Spring mix
-1 tbs walnuts (I had cinnamon sugar coated ones)
-1 tbs crasins
-1 tbs feta cheese
-optional: baked or grilled chicken breast
Directions:
  1. Place spring mix on plate, top with remaining ingredients.
  2. Enjoy!



Apple Cider Vinaigrette Dressing
-1/2 c apple cider
-1/4 c apple cider vinegar
-1/2 tsp dijion mustard (I used whole grain dijion, but plain is good, too)
-2 tsp maple syrup
-1/2 cup olive oil
-sprinkle of cinnamon

Directions:

  1. Mix all ingredients, except the olive oil.
  2. Continue to whisk vinegar mixture as you start to pour the olive oil in. 
  3. Refrigerate until needed.
  4. Mix before topping salad.

Comments

Popular Posts