Blueberry Pecan Crumb Pie

   Blueberry pie= New Jersey's state pie

  I learned today that New Jersey's State pie is blueberry pie. I learned that little tip while visiting Trenton, NJ (NJ's capital), to fight for dietitians to become licensed in New Jersey. It is crazy how NJ is 1 out of 4 states that does not have licensed dietitians. It was a great day to learn about what goes on behind those doors of the state building to pass our bill. 
    A group of dietitians (and future RDs) from the New Jersey dietetic association all teamed up to take on Trenton. Dietitians have gone through schooling and internships to become registered. Dietitians provide reliable, scientific-based nutrition education and medical nutrition therapy to prevent and decrease diseases.
     I am currently going through school to become an RD, it has not been easy! Going to school all year around, taking time off of work to complete internships (unpaid), networking, and working have taught me to never give up and keep pushing through! But, I am doing this to become the best dietitian I can be and to provide my expertise to the public, patients, clients, family, and friends. Be careful where your nutrition information comes from!
     I am also in the middle of my pediatric rotation at Cooper Hospital. I love being a part of the hands on experience to see the importance of nutrition in infants and pediatric patients. It is such a crucial time for growth of weight, height, and head circumference. I am learning the different formulas, breast feeding importance, toddler feeding habits, growth charts, and the importance of nutrition education to the parents.
     Within this busy month, I am able to complete recipe redux's theme for June: creating a healthier pie. I made a blueberry pie for father's day and for the start of blueberry season. I am sad to say "goodbye" to strawberry season, but excited about blueberry season! I love my antioxidants in these berries! At Duffield's Farm, my family's business, we even have our early variety of peaches and we sell Jersey Fresh blueberries from Hammonton, NJ (the blueberry capital of the world). I used to go pick up the blueberries from Sal, the blueberry farmer, but lately my grandpop goes because I have been too busy to pick them up. 
    This pie was a big hit for dessert! I was excited that I could provide a lower sugar and high fiber pie for my boyfriend's family and mine! The best part: the picky eaters went back for seconds!
Recipe below:

Blueberry Pecan Crumb Pie

Whole wheat pecan crust
(2 deep dish crusts: save extra for top or to make another pie later)
  • 3 cups whole wheat flour 
  • 1/3 cup crushed pecans
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup ice water
  • 1 tsp salt
1. Mix flour and salt.
2. Cut butter in cubes, add to flour, and mix. 
3. Add pecans, coconut oil, and mix.
4. Add milk and water, hand mix to form a ball of dough.
5. With a rolling pin, roll the dough out larger than pie shell.
6. Roll up the crust to transfer to the shell. 
7. Chill in the fridge while making the filling.







Blueberry filling
  • 3 pints (about 33 oz) of fresh Jersey blueberries
  • 1/4 cup Duffield's honey
  • 1/2 juice of a lemon
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tbsp arrowroot
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
1. Mix well together, let sit while making the crumb topping.



Oat pecan crumb topping
  • 3/4 cup oats
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • pinch salt
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
1. Blend ingredients.

Put it all together= Easy as pie!
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Remove the crust from refrigerator.
  3. Add blueberry mixture.
  4. Top with crumb mixture and a few more blueberries. Pinch crust on the side.
  5. Bake for 45-55 min. Let cool down for a few hours. 
  6. Serve and enjoy!









(May need a spoon!)

 (Yum!! As you can see in the back some added vanilla ice cream and homemade whip cream!)

Welcome summer!!!


P.S my family is pulling sweet corn tomorrow morning!
 I had it for dinner and it is delicious!


Comments

  1. My mom would kill for this! She adores all these things!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts