Tuscan white bean and kale soup

Happy Spring!!
    Spring time is my favorite time of year with the sun shining and the hope that the weather will get warmer. I live in New Jersey and the first day of spring brought snow to us. When it snows, I crave soup. I figured I would end winter with a new soup: Tuscan white bean and kale soup. 
    The March theme for the recipe redux, is to create a recipe with less than 7 ingredients. With tax season upon us, this recipe is a no brainer and will prevent you from filling your brain with too many numbers. My brain has been fried with school, work, family time, and the recent passing of my grandfather.
   The past few weeks have been a hard time for my family and I. My grandfather passed away on Tuesday, March 15. My family from Tennessee, Maryland, Florida, and central New Jersey were all visiting during these past two weekends. The last thing on our mind is creating dinner for 20+ people. We are so grateful for our generous friends and family that made us  dinner. We have also received three fruit bouquets from Edible arrangements. With a big family, we can consume a lot of food, so every little bit helped!
   In the fruit bouquet, there were pieces of fruit on long sticks. The sticks were placed in a piece of styrofoam surrounded by a ton of fresh kale. The fruit was devoured in minutes! Instead of throwing away the kale, I filled a large bag to keep in my fridge. I usually add kale to my eggs in the morning. Since I had so much kale, I figured I would incorporate into my soup. The soup was so easy and quick, which did not prevent me from spending time with my family. Everyone, including the family members that don't eat kale, enjoyed it and went back for seconds! What a hit!
Tuscan white bean and kale soup
Serves: 4-6
Ingredients:
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 3-4 garlic cloves, minced (I use 3 large cloves)
  • 2 cans white beans, rinsed
  • 1/3 cup sundried tomatoes in oil, plus the oil 
  • 3 cups kale
  • 6 cups stock (I used 1/2 chicken and 1/2 vegetable)
  • optional: 1 tbsp Italian seasoning/any spices; parmesan cheese to top it off
Directions:
  1. In a medium dutch oven, heat olive oil on medium heat.
  2. Add chopped onion and minced garlic to the dutch oven. Cook until translucent.
  3. Add white beans, kale, broth, sundried tomatoes and the oil from the tomatoes.
  4. Optional: top with any spices.
  5. Once the soup is at a boil, turn down the heat to low and place the lid on top for an hour. Mix half way through.
  6. Add soup to mug and top with parmesan cheese (optional).
  7. Enjoy the taste and the aroma in the air!





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts