Plant based protein bowl

Fall is always such a crazy time for my family and myself. This fall has been crazy for my route of becoming a dietitian. I am doing my medical and surgical internship in Central New Jersey. In the past two months, I have attended a short bowel syndrome presentation and a volume-based feeding presentation to increase my knowledge in these areas. Starting in November, I will be starting my renal rotation at DaVita. I am looking forward to gaining as much experience during my internships as I can!
It is our busiest season on my family's farm with hayrides, pumpkin picking, corn maze, an abundance of Jersey vegetables, apples, and fall events. It was a great time of year for The Recipe Redux's theme of a plant based protein bowl. I have been trying to add more vegetarian dishes and protein sources into my diet. I even bought this awesome tank top that states, "Ok, but first veggies". I bought the shirt from The Shop Forward. It supports Harvest 107, where the proceeds go to rebuild farms in Haiti. Before hurricane Matthew, earlier this month, the proceeds went to fight huger through sustainable agricultural projects, education, and employment opportunities. As you all know, hurricane Matthew destroyed much of Haiti, so it is important to rebuild these farms back up. It is a great non-profit organization. I encourage everyone to check out Harvest 107 and go support them! Plus, this shirt is amazing!
 
The average, healthy American needs .8g/kg of protein (150lb person needs 55 g of protein). Eating a plant based diet does not mean a diet low in protein. There are many protein sources that can be included, here are some examples:
  • Soy products (tofu, soy milk, edamame)
  • Beans (Black, kidney, white, pinto, etc.)
  • Chick peas
  • Lentils 
  • Tempeh
  • Milk products
  • Nuts
  • Seeds
  • Eggs
  • Hemp
 For my plant based protein bowl, I decided to include as many products from my family's farm. The veggies look so pretty when all together!
Duffield's Farm produce included: 
  • Eggplant
  • Brussel sprouts
  • Sweet potatoes
  • Broccoli
  • Cauliflower
  • Kale
Protein sources include:
  • Edeame
  • Lentils
Grains:
  • Quinoa
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. Drizzle a 2 tbsp of olive oil on the veggies and edamame, crush 2 garlic cloves, and sprinkle seasonings on top (pepper, thyme, parsley, basil, thyme, etc).
  3. Bake for 30-40 minutes. 
  4. Prepare the lentils and quinoa per package directions (about 30 minute for each)
  5. Top everything on a bed of kale or spinach
 
Optional dressing: avocado parsley dressing
(1 ripe avocado, 1 garlic clove, 2-3 tbsp olive oil, 1 cup fresh parsley, pepper, water depending on texture preference- blend all together in food processor)
 


 

ENJOY the goodness of the earth!


Comments

  1. You are written very nice on plant protein article. Good to read the article. keep inspiring us writing more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Healthy food is most important. This is good and thanks for sharing with us. I will definitely try this. To fulfill protein requirement Plant based protein powder is useful

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts