Peach BBQ Pulled Chicken with Peach Coleslaw

The past two days I spent the day at the beach in Wildwood with my in-laws. It was a much needed time to get some sun and relax. I am finally done all my internship hours and now I need to complete my summer class. After that it will be months of studying before I take my registered dietitian exam. School took much longer than I would have hoped for, but the future is so bright and I am excited to see what the Lord has in store for me! 
As many of you know, Andy and I moved into our tiny home (about 400 sq feet or less) after we got married April 22. My dad and his friends kicked butt to get it done for us. I am so blessed to have so many hard working men in my life, because of them we are able to have our own little home on the lake. Every day I feel like I am on vacation, opening my windows to a beautiful lake. Sometimes taking the kayak out for a joy ride. Another plus is having our air fixed!
I love the heat, but stuck in a small place in the heat is not very fun. We only have a toaster oven, plug in induction stove top, plug in skillet, griddler/panini press/waffle maker all in one, a mini crock pot, and a mini camping outside grill. When I have the oven going and skillet, the tiny home heats up real quick! Grilling and using the crock pot are my go-to for keeping the house cool in the summer.

The Recipe Redux's July theme is to "Beat the heat with the slow cooker, instant pot, or pressure cooker". I incorporated some popular summer staples into my crock-pot dish: BBQ and peaches.
I am not a big fan of bottled BBQ sauces because of the sugar they add.  My BBQ pulled chicken was naturally sweetened with fresh peaches (which are in my backyard on my family's farm). When you have pulled chicken or pork, you must have coleslaw! Perfect time for coleslaw since my family's farm also has their own cabbage. I tried to create a sweet potato waffle as the bun (with my family's sweet potatoes and fresh eggs). The buns will need some tweaking but it was very tasty with the peach BBQ pulled chicken and peach coleslaw.  My parents came over for dinner and they used torpedo rolls instead. You can use any type of bun or a salad to enjoy this meal.

Peach BBQ Pulled Chicken
 
 
Servings: 4 
Ingredients:
  • 3 chicken breasts, cut in strips
  • 1 (6oz) can tomato paste
  • 2 peaches, diced with skins removed
  • 2 tbs apple cider vinegar
  • 4 tbs Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp minced onion
  • 3/4 cup water
  • olive oil
Directions:
  1. In a small crock pot (1.5 qt) on high heat,  drizzle olive oil and place chicken in crock pot.
  2. In a medium bowl, add remaining ingredients and mix together.
  3. Add to crock pot.
  4. Cook on high for 4 hours.
  5.  With two forks and a cutting board, remove cooked chicken and shred apart with the forks. 
  6. Add shredded chicken back into crock pot.
  7. Turn to warm and cook for half hour.
  8. Serve with sweet potato waffle bun (recipe below), on a salad, or any roll you love!
  9. Enjoy with coleslaw (below).
    Peach Coleslaw
     
    Serves: 4
    Ingredients:
    • 1/2 peach, julienne slices
    • 1/4 soft peach, juice only
    • 1 cup shredded carrots
    • 1 cup shredded green cabbage 
    • 1 cup shredded red cabbage
    • 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
    • 1 tbsp honey
    • drizzle olive oil 
    Directions:
    1. In a large bowl, mix sliced peaches, carrots, red and green cabbage together.
    2. Add apple cider vinegar, honey, peach juice, and olive oil. Mix all together.
    3. Let it sit in the fridge for a half hour to hour. 
    4. Enjoy on top of pulled chicken between or on top of sweet potato waffle (below).
    Sweet Potato Waffle Bun
     
    Serves: 4 waffles
    Ingredients:
    • 3 medium sweet potatoes, skin removed and mashed
    • 2 eggs
    • 1/4 tsp baking powder
    • 1/4 cup coconut flour
    • 1 tsp parsley flakes
    • 1 tsp Italian seasoning
    • olive oil spray
    Directions:
    1. Pierce the sweet potatoes with a fork and microwave for 5 minutes.
    2. Let cool, remove skins and mash.
    3. Add remaining ingredients and blend together.
    4. Heat the waffle maker, spray, and add batter.
    5. Cook for 12-15 minutes. 
    6. Enjoy as a side, as a bun, or topped with pulled chicken and coleslaw.
     
     Waffle Bun option
     
     Salad option

     
    Regular Roll Option

    Or anything you can enjoy the pulled chicken and coleslaw with, it is up to you! 😋

     

    Fresh produce from Duffield's Farm: peaches, cabbage, sweet potatoes, and eggs

     

    The farmer himself relaxing after a hot, long day on the farm.


     

    recipe-redux-linky-logo

    Comments

    1. I love this whole post! Fun to hear about your tiny house and your short list of appliances. You are ingenious to cook with just a few things. My dad is a farmer and carpenter too. But this is the first year he's grown sweet potatoes in his garden. Can't wait to try them...and your peachy recipes. (:

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. That is awesome! I love another farmer's daughter! I hope you enjoy the recipe, I can't wait to make it again.

        Delete

    Post a Comment

    Popular Posts