Vegan ginger snaps

Hey all my followers,
I have some exciting updates in my life. My husband and I have been busy tearing down wall paper and fixing up the house we bought last week. Plus, I passed my registered dietitian exam, so I am officially a registered dietitian nutritionist and working per diem at a local hospital. I am so excited for all the exciting things going, especially during this time of year! This season can get carried away with Santa and gifts, but we must remember the real reason for the season: Jesus Christ! Tomorrow (Christmas Eve Eve) my church has their Christmas service and it is going to be amazing--come out and join us at True North! 


Guys, Christmas is in 3 days!! It is time to get baking to bring to parties and for Santa to snack on when visiting your home! I strive to keep people {and Santa} healthy while eating what they enjoy. Eating well balanced and in moderation is key during this holiday season. This month's Recipe Redux theme is to open any cook book to page 17, 201, or 217 and make that recipe healthier. I used my grandmom's Betty Crocker's baking book. I love how it is stained, ripped, and falling apart because it shows how much she used it.  I took page 20: Merry Christmas Cookies that can be a light (sugar) cookie or dark (molasses) cookie. Last year I made a healthier sugar cookie and this year I wanted to create a ginger cookie that would be healthy and vegan.
I am not vegan, but my friend is. We often talk about substitutes in baking..like the flax egg I used in the recipe. I made many different substitutes: healthier alternatives to the fat (avocado and apple sauce), cut the sugar down, changes flour to one with more fiber and nutrients, and added more spices to kick it up a notch. The texture of the cookie was very moist after I mixed it and tried rolling it. There is still some work I need to do next round. In order to roll the cookies into a ball, you must use a lot of flour! They still provide the flavor of a ginger snap--in a healthier form.  Play around the recipe and if you have any ideas you did differently, let me know! I love feedback.

Vegan ginger snaps
Servings: 30 cookies
Ingredients:
  • 3 tbsp mashed avocado
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1 flaxseed egg (3 tbsp water+1 tbsp ground flax)
  • 1/2 cup molasses (I used unsulfured)
  • 1 3/4 cup almond flour
  • 1 3/4 cup oat flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp ginger
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp allspice
  • 1/4 tsp ground cloves
  • 1/4 tsp salt
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Beat avocado, applesauce, and sugar until smooth. Add flax-egg and molasses, blend well.
  3. In another bowl, mix almond flour, oat flour, baking soda, and spices together.
  4. Slowly add dry mix into wet mixture until mix well.
  5. Chill dough for a few hours.
  6. Flour your hands, and roll into a ball. Place dough balls on greased tray.
  7. Bake for 10-15 minutes.  


  recipe-redux-linky-logo

Comments

Popular Posts