Swiss Chard Salad

If you are new to reading my blog, first off welcome I am excited to have you interested in healthy eating with fresh, nutritious recipes! My name is Chrissie and I come from a farm family, I am a dietitian and a personal trainer. My family has a farm market, called Duffield's farm, in South Jersey (30 min from Philly..come visit 😃). We have 500 acres that we grow over 35 different varieties of fruits and vegetables, we have hayrides (selected times of the year), birthday parties, school trips, a bakery, a deli, and sell all our fresh produce in our store.

In season on the farm right now:
strawberries
swiss chard
zucchini/summer squash
rhubarb
collard greens
kale
radishes
sweet potatoes
herbs

Since I became a registered dietitian, I wanted to provide nutrition education for the customers at my family's farm. For fun I have a chalk board up front and write a weekly nutrition tip along with a recipe. Many people do not experiment with different produce, so I want to provide a healthy recipe for them to do so. Right now the board is about Swiss Chard. To be honest, I was to afraid to try it. It is beautiful so why not have it keep growing (joking but really I thought that since I was afraid to try it). To me it looks like veins going through our own bodies, which is pretty cool since it is high in VITAMIN K (helps with blood clotting), it is like the swiss chard wanted to remind us to eat more vitamin K (unless you are on certain meds like blood thinners). 

Swiss Chard Nutritional Tips:
  • Vit K: blood clotting, bone healthy, improves calcium absorption
  • Vit A: improve immune system, anti-inflammatory, improve cell communication, vision health
  • Flavonoid vitexin: anti- inflammatory/-cancer/-oxidant
  • Phytonutrient betalain pigment from the color of the stalks: anti- inflammatory/-cancer and for cardiovascular disease
  • Helps improve neurodegenerative diseases (ex: Alzheimer's, Parkinsons, dementia)
  • Eat raw or cooked (Raw salad below)



Swiss chard beet salad with 
homemade lemon apple cider vinaigrette


Serves: 4 side salads
Ingredients:
  • 4 cups Swiss chard (Duffield's Farm), chopped
  • 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
  • 1 large (or 2 small) beets, roasted or boiled, chopped
Salad dressing ingredients:
  • ¼ cup olive oil
  • ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
  • 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 3 tbsp fresh parsley
  • 1 tbsp honey

 Directions:
  1. Prepare salad, drizzle with salad dressing.
  2. Enjoy! 



 

Comments

Popular Posts