Homemade strawberry jam & PB sandwiches

PB & J the most simple, yet delicious sandwich! I grew up on these babies. The big questions about PB&J...
CRUNCHY or SMOOTH peanut butter? 
STRAWBERRY or GRAPE jelly? 
WHITE or WHEAT bread?
CRUST or CRUST-LESS? 

It is Recipe Redux's birthday! We should put a candle on this sandwich. This month's Recipe Redux theme is to take a healthy upgrade to a simple sandwich. I think the most simple sandwich would be a PB&J, your children can make it!  Read on for my healthy upgrades to the original PB&J. 

It may seem like such a simple sandwich but everyone has their own preferences. For me, I have always loved crunchy pb, any jelly (we mostly had grape), wheat bread (but was probably feed white when I was young), and I LOVE crust (I sometimes eat my family's crust). Comment below and I would love to hear your memories or take on your favorite PB&J! I took a spin on the original PB&J. 

Unfortunately, strawberry season has come to an end for my family's farm (here in New Jersey). On the last day I decided to make strawberry chia jam, wish I thought of this earlier! It is so good and healthy, I may make it with every fruit from here on out...can you say PEACH jam!!! Sorry I get way too excited about produce and food.  I totally recommend making your own jam- so easy, healthy, and it takes your PB&J to a whole new level. If you are not able to make your own jam, make sure you find a jelly or jam that is low in added sugar.

When it comes to peanut butter, I am picky with my peanut butter. The reason is: I want just peanuts and some salt...no sugar or added oils please! Even if you peanut butter says natural, look at the ingredients and ask yourself "Is there more than peanuts and salt in this?" If you answer "yes", put it back on the shelf. My go to PB brands are: shoprite's brand natural and Trader Joe's salted crunchy. The most important take away is: READ INGREDIENTS: PEANUTS AND SALT should be the only ingredients. You can also use almond butter if you please.

For the bread, 100% whole grain and whole wheat are best choices providing more fiber and nutrients that they remove in white bread. I toast my bread to provide a crunch, do as you wish!

Homemade Strawberry Jam & PB 
Sandwich

Ingredients:
  • 2 slices 100% whole wheat/whole grain bread 
  • 1-2 tbsp Peanut butter (read above)*
  • 1-2 tbsp strawberry jam (recipe below)*
Directions:
Toast bread, spread peanut butter on one side and jam on the other, bring together. And enjoy! 

* Some people like little PB and others like alot...like me! Same with jelly, so spread as much as you would like. 1 serving of peanut butter= 2 tbsp, 200 calories, 9g protein, 16g fat.  


Homemade Strawberry Chia Jam
Makes: 8 oz jam mason jar
Ingredients:
  • 1 quart (2.5 cups) strawberries
  • 2.5 tbsp chia seeds (use less if you want a thinner consistency and vice versa)
  • 2 tbsp honey
  • optional: 1 tsp lemon zest


Directions:
  1. Remove stems and slice strawberries.
  2. In a medium sauce pan, heat to medium heat. Add strawberries and cook for 8-10 minutes. Mash to desired consistency (I wanted to keep some strawberry chunks). 
  3. Reduce heat to low, add chia seeds, honey, and lemon zest (if using). Cook low for 10 minutes.
  4. Let cool before transferring to container.
  5. Freeze (up to 3 months) or refrigerate (2-3 weeks)



Some strawberry nutrition from Duffield's Dietitian 
(aka me)

recipe-redux-linky-logo

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts