Whole grain blueberry muffins

Happy National Blueberry Muffin Day! First, I would love to see who creates these "National Days". They make it fun and an excuse to eat or drink whatever National day's item is. National blueberry muffin day came at a great time. I made these blueberry muffins to take to my neighbor's when we had dinner together. Their little girl loved them (a great way to get fiber and berries into a kid's diet). These muffins are not very sweet, which makes them healthier and a great grab-and-go breakfast.

Whole Grain Blueberry Muffins


Makes: 16 muffins
Ingredients for muffin:
  • 1 cup oat flour (grind to make flour)
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 ripe bananas, mashed
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tbsp maple syrup/honey (more if you want a sweeter muffin)
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp lemon zest
  • 1/2 cup blueberries
Ingredients for "crumb" top:
  • 1 cup whole oats
  • 2 tbsp honey
  • 2 tsp cinnamon 
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat muffin pan with papers or oil to prevent sticking.
  2. Mix together dry ingredients: flours, baking soda, and baking powder.
  3. In a separate bowl mix mashed banana, eggs, maple syrup, olive oil, vanilla, and lemon zest.
  4. In a medium bowl make "crumb" topping. Mix all ingredients together.
  5. Slowly incorporate wet mix into dry mix.
  6. Fold blueberries into batter. 
  7. Spoon into muffin tins, top with "crumb" topping. Bake for 17-19 mins, until tooth pick comes out with nothing on it.
  8. Enjoy fresh, keep in fridge for a week, or freeze.


As you can tell I love copper! My mother and sister in law got my this amazing copper kitchen aid mixer that sits as decoration and a useful kitchen tool. They also got me the copper baking wear! I am blessed with great in-laws! I learn a lot about cooking and baking with my mother in law. She has every kitchen gadget and knows how to make anything and everything. My mother in law also works at my family's farm market with my mom. I love that I am able to see so much of my family in one spot!





Picture we took at the blueberry farm my family gets their blueberries from--Hammonton, NJ {blueberry capital}
Blueberry Nutrition Tips
(www.blueberrycouncil.org)
- 1 cup= 83 calories, 14 g sugar, 21 g carb, 5 g fiber
-1 cup= 90-129 lg; 130-189 med; 5 oz (3 cups to a pound); 2/3 cup pureed
-1 cup frozen blueberries= 2/3 cup thawed blueberries
 -23% vit c= collagen formation and healthy immune system
-Phytonutrients (polyphenols)= antioxidants and anti-inflammatory
-Anthocyanins= blue color, helps prevent cancer
-Flavonoid (antioxidant)= helps the brain
-Manganese= bone developments and converting PRO, FAT, Carbs into energy
-Good for UTIs
-Season: mid-June to mid-August
-Highbush blueberries is the variety you buy in the store
-Baking: they turn reddish when exposed to acid; turn greenish with too much baking soda in batter (alkaline); gray with dairy. Add lemon juice to batter or smoothie for a a better color.
-Eat them fresh, frozen, or dried
-NJ is known for their blueberry farms, so support local blueberry farmers!

Comments

Popular Posts