Pumpkin Pancakes


October started on a Monday. I love when new months start on new weeks. Sometimes we just need fresh starts and that does not mean January 1. A fresh start can start any day, but sometimes Mondays and the beginning of months are what people need for a clear mind. Mondays are one of my favorite days as it is a fresh beginning to think positive about the new week as new beginning of habits, healthy relationships, and letting go of the past. I enjoy my job, so maybe Mondays are easier for me. I get to see clients and help them get healthier through nutrition. If you don't enjoy your job, maybe Monday's are a time to find what can be positive in the week to come or how you can find enjoyment in your job. We all have different jobs for a reason and can be a blessing in the current season we are in. Maybe the co-workers are hard to work for, maybe this week you try to be the light to them (you will be surprised how they respond). But, whatever it may be, we are on this earth only once, so make the best out of it!

During my time with my clients, nutrition is a big part, but I touch base on exercise (as I am certified personal trainer), stress, mindfulness, sleep, and helping my clients build healthy relationships with food. My clients leave with healthy recipes, nutrition education, encouragement, and support from me.

Since I was younger and started college to become a registered dietitian, I envisioned my dream job exactly where I am now. I tried the clinical route, but knew that was not where the Lord wanted me to be. Building relationships with clients and watching them grow healthy habits is where I am meant to to be. We are all human, so we will fail, I am also there for my clients at this time. I, too, have failed many times and will continue to fail. If we don't fail sometimes, we will never grow. Life is about trying new things.


Octobers are also a time for pumpkins (well, pumpkin season started in September for me). My family's business (Duffield's Farm) is crazy busy with fall fun with the corn maze, birthday parties, hayrides to the pumpkin patch, pony rides, face painting, and of course apple cider donuts. So if you are looking for something to do on Saturdays in October, come visit me! Make sure you start your morning with these pumpkin pancakes!


Pumpkin Pancakes
Serves: 4 medium pancakes
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup Kodiak Cakes buttermilk mix
  • 1/4 cup milk (I used unsweetened almond)
  • 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp flax meal
  • 1 tbsp Delighted By Dessert Hummus, snickerdoodle flavor
  • optional:
    • 100% maple syrup
    • pumpkin seeds
 Directions:
  1. Add pancake mix, milk, pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla, and flax meal into a bowl and mix.
  2. Pre heat a large skillet and coat with grass fed butter or spray.
  3. Cook pancakes until golden brown, about 3 minutes on both sides. 
  4. Top with dessert hummus, more pumpkin pie spice, pumpkin seeds, and maple syrup.
  5. Enjoy!







Update on my marathon training:
My ankle is doing much better, I ran 15 miles on Sunday! Along with icing, elevating, and taping it during my runs. It is still swollen and some moves are uncomfortable on it, but has improved much more (thanks to my PT Margie!). Now my new concern is my IT band. I have been rolling it and want to cry every time! I just order some tape for my ankle and IT band, I just hope that helps. If anyone has suggestions, I would love to hear! Stay tuned!




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts