Roasted Delicata Squash


This Thursday, I have the honor of hosting a New Jersey Dietetic Event at my family's farm (Duffield's Farm). It has been a dream of mine for this type of event. A bonus is being able to have my dad with me talking. My dad has done many different types of speaking events from farming to the prayers during his volunteer fire company events. My dad is filled with so much knowledge and does not realize it.

Growing up with my dad being a farmer and my whole family working on the farm or in the farm market, everyone thinks I am the expert in farming. I always respond with, "I do not work out in the fields and am not as knowledgeable as I wish." {Side note: I worked in the bakery making apple cider donuts and all those delicious desserts}.

When my dad used to come home for work, we would eat dinner at 5 pm, with the news ALWAYS on TV, he would write the farm log everyday (still does it), go do yard work (his grass is his calming place), and finally would come in around 8pm. After such a long day, I never wanted to ask him every detail of farming. Once in awhile, I would ask a plethora of questions. Farming is a lot harder than what people think and you depend on the weather {we all know how bipolar that has been lately}. Also, the deer, ground hogs, and all those critters love our produce, which is not good for us!

My dad is also the mechanic, he fixes the equipment to prevent spending a ton of money for someone else to do it. He also does everything from researching the seeds, planting, picking, marketing, and the list can go on for days. Farming as a career, for my family, is 6 days a week and about 12 hours a day (along with owning your own business hours). The benefit of the job was being able to see my dad any day and time. Since my mom, aunts, grandparents, brothers, cousins, and now my mother-in-law work at the market, we see our family all the time. My one favorite thing is lunch at 12 pm, where most of us eat lunch together. Being with family is a huge part of my life, which is why my husband and I only moved 5 minutes away.

One of my dad's favorite part of his job is the fall squash. He loves doing the research and choosing which funky/different types of squash he can sell for the year. His new item to the farm this year is delicata squash! I had it for the first time after making this recipe and my husband and I LOVED it. I hope you will try it and love it as much!

Roasted Delicata Squash 

Serves: 2-3
Ingredients:
  • 1 small to medium delicata squash
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • Salt and pepper
  • Indian spice: cardamom, garam masala, turmeric, curry, cumin, cinnamon 
 Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
  2. Cut stem off squash and cut in half length wise. Scoop out seeds and save to roast.
  3. Cut in pieces like a half moon shape.
  4. Toss with olive oil and spices.
  5. Place on tray in a single layer.
  6. Roast for 30 minutes.
  7. As they are roasting, clean and dry the seeds.
  8. Bake seeds in oven for 8-10 minutes, until golden brown.
  9. Enjoy! 

(Half is with the Indian Spices thrown on and the other half is salt and pepper)




  
 About Delicata Squash
  •  AKA: bohemian squash, sugar loaf, little ones
  • Skin is thin and edible 
  • Sweet similar to a sweet potato
  • Holds it shape when cooked= good to stuff
  • 1 cup= 40 cal, 9g carbs, 4g fiber, 4g sugar, 1g protein, 53% Vit A, 27% calcium, 11% vit C
  • High in fiber: (mostly from skin) helps lower cholesterol, control blood sugar, improve bowel movements
  • High in calcium: bone and teeth health, prevent osteoporosis 
  • High in Vit A: healthy vision,  skin prevention from UV radiation, protection against cancer
  • High in Vit C: healthy immune system, helps iron absorption

Comments

  1. Viewpoint Dennis Quaid
    Viewpoint Dennis Quaid
    #*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts