Kale!

Kale is like the new favorite green this year! 
I still love my other greens, but trying something new is always fun to me.  At my family party, I made kale chips for my family.  Most of the family did not want to try them, but I made them try it and they loved them!

*Fun Tips About Kale*
-Also known as borecole
-When buying it: choose the firm, dark green leaves, and strong stems
-Store it unwashed in an air-tight bag for up to 5 days in the fridge
-Comes in different types: curly, ornamental, or dinosaur varieties (webmd)
-Belongs in the Brassica family along with cabbage, collards, broccoli, and brussels sprouts (Webmd)
-A good source of vitamins like: vit K, vit A, vit C, vit B6
-A good source of manganese, calcium, copper, and iron
-High in fiber (especially when cooked): lowers cholesterol and reduces the risk of heart disease
-Rich in two of the antioxidant carotenoids: leutein and zeaxanthin
-The antioxidants promote a healthy immune system, eye health, and defends cells from free radicals
-Make chips, sauté it, add to salads, stir-fry, casseroles, pizza, be creative!


Tonight I wanted to sauté the kale and see how I liked it.  It was actually really good! I sauteed kale, spinach, tomatoes, garlic, and chickpeas for dinner tonight(Recipe below).


 Chickpeas in tomato sauce with greens
Serves: 1
Total time: 20 min
Ingredients:
  • 2 Teaspoons of oil (olive oil or coconut)
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 3 pieces of kale
  • 1/2 cup spinach
  • 1 tomato, chopped
  • 1/4 cup broth (chicken or vegetable)
  • 1 Teaspoon basil (fresh or dry)
  • 1 Teaspoon fresh ground pepper
  • 1/2 cup of chickpeas
DIrections:
  1. Heat oil in a sauce pan.
  2. Sauté kale, spinach, and garlic for about 5 min.
  3. Add remaining ingredients. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
  4. Enjoy this nutritious meal! It would also be good with some mozzarella cheese! 


Comments

Popular Posts