Shrimp Spring Rolls

Spring is in full swing here in New Jersey! A couple weeks ago the peach blossoms bloomed their beautiful pink flowers. Last Saturday I had my first strawberry of the season from the farm. The strawberry, peach, and apple season may not be our best season for each, this year. The reason is: early in spring the weather was warm, which brought on the blossoms for the fruit. A week after the beautiful flowers blossomed, a frost came over the farm. The frost destroyed some of our first batch of sweet charlie strawberries (the best ones), some peaches, and some apples. We will not know until the fruit seasons come, praying that the Lord will provide (as he always does!). 

I love this time of year, the sun is coming up early and my days are becoming more productive. In exactly one year from now, I will be marrying the man of my dreams on Earth day! This week I ordered my flowers from The Garden Party in Elmer, NJ. I am going Sunday to try on some dresses. Sunday afternoon I am having a BBQ for my wedding party. It is now all feeling so real and I could not be happier with everything!


The April theme for The Recipe Redux is to think of a creative lunch option. Are you tired of asking yourself, "What shall I have for lunch?" or "I am sick of my usual lunch". Here are some spring rolls, for the spring season, to try for your next lunch box. They are refreshing, healthy, low calorie, and full of vegetables and healthy fats. 

Shrimp Spring Rolls
Ingredients:
  • cooked small shrimp (2-3 shrimp per roll)
  • red cabbage
  • avocado, thin slices
  • fresh basil leaves
  • cucumber, julienne cut
  • red leaf lettuce
  • carrots, julienne cut or shredded
  • round rice spring rolls
  • low sodium soy sauce or any other sauces

Directions:
  1. Get all the ingredients ready and cut.
  2. Fill a 9 inch pie pan with water. Add one spring roll in water for 15-20 seconds.
  3. Place the wet spring roll on a wet towel, add toppings: 2-3 individual shrimps, 1 slice of avocado, cucumbers, red cabbage, carrots, basil, and red lead lettuce. 
  4. Fold over the bottom, than the two sides, and roll together. 
  5. Dip in soy sauce or any other sauces (ex: peanut sauce).
  6. Enjoy!!
    (I am loving my lunch container I received from my boss for National Nutrition Month!)



Even though I did not measure the ingredients, each roll was a little different. The rolling part was difficult at first. I had to practice a few (and eat a few) since many of them ripped. But after some practice they started to look real nice. Word of advice: do not get discouraged and do not leave the rice sheets in the water longer than 20 seconds because they will be very difficult to handle.
I am excited to make these again and branch out to other combinations in the rolls.


Other lunch options and tips from Miss Sweet Potato Head:

http://misssweetpotatohead.blogspot.com/2016/03/tuscan-white-bean-and-kale-soup.html








Comments

Popular Posts