Savory whole wheat everything crepes

Back to school time is here, well not for me! I finally handed in my last portfolios for school. Now I just have to wait to graduate this fall before I sit for the Registered Dietitian exam. It is a relief to be done, but now it is time to start studying for the big exam. I just want to thank everyone for encouraging me, reading my blog, and supporting me through my schooling!  

With back to school brings clothes shopping, new schedules, colder weather, and don't forget food shopping! Starting the new routine 2 weeks before school starts, can help your family get into the rhythm and help you coast right into your first day with no worries! Prepping breakfast and lunches for the week will help the morning rush to the bus stop or ride to work.
We all know that breakfast is an important part of the school routine. Check out one of my old posts about the benefits of breakfast and some ideas. 

August's Recipe Redux theme: Rise and shine with a savory breakfast filled with protein. My mornings either consist of running out the door with a smoothie (recipe below) or eggs/egg whites if I have time to sit and eat. My microwaveable egg maker is a breakfast time saver, taking less than 3 min! I sprinkle "Everything but the bagel" seasoning from Trader Joes on top of my eggs and avocado toast... warning it is addicting!! Anyone else agree? I incorporated the seasoning into my recipe this week: 

Whole wheat everything crepe with eggs, spinach, mushrooms, and avocado 
 
Serves: 2 crepes
Crepe Ingredients: 
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • Sprinkle of salt
  • 1 tbsp melted coconut oil
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 egg
  • "Everything but the bagel" seasoning from Trader Joe
Crepe directions:
(I used my Ninja smoothie cup and blender for less mess and easy pouring out of the smoothie lid.)
  1. Blend all ingredients, except "Everything seasoning", to a running consistency (not a pancake batter consistency)
  2. Let mixture sit for 5-10 minutes.
  3. Heat a medium to large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add 1/2 the batter so it covers the whole pan (may need to twirl it around the pan to spread out), sprinkle "Everything but the bagel" seasoning. 
  4. Cook for 1-2 minutes on both sides until brown.
  5. Add savory, high protein filling (below)and roll up or fold over. You can also freeze or save for the next day! 
 
 
 
 
Savory filling: 1 egg and egg white omelette, sauteed mushrooms and spinach, and 1/4 avocado

Smoothie
 
1/4 cup blueberries 
1/2 frozen banana
1/4 cucumber, slices
4 thin slices of fresh ginger
1/4 lemon, skin and seeds removed
2 cups spinach
1 tbsp hemp seeds
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 tsp flaxseeds
1/4 cup water 
2 Ice cubes

  
Breakfast is always a good thing to eat before a day of hiking, just like school! I had the pleasure of going hiking with my two friends this past week. If anyone lives near Pennsylvania, I highly recommend going to Rickets Glen to go hiking. We went in the morning during the week and it was a beautiful day. There are so many waterfalls, you feel like you are in the rain forest! I love being in nature, it gives me a peace of mind and how can you not relax with the waterfalls? Here are a few pictures to give you an idea of how beautiful it is:
 






I want to share a fun event we are doing at my family's farm (Duffield's Farm), in Sewell, New Jersey. We already started hayrides to pick apples and on September 9 we will also be having a Food truck festival and a live band. Come check us out as we still have a ton of Jersey Fresh produce (grown on our farm), apple cider, apple cider donuts, and so many fall activities starting!

No automatic alt text available.
recipe-redux-linky-logo




Comments

  1. I'm a huge fan of crepes.. and TJ's Everything But the Bagel seasoning, so these sound RIGHT up my alley!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts