National Nutrition Month



This is the last week of National Nutrition Month. I will be continuing the weekly nutrition tips, along with some recipes, through out the summer. When the summer arrives, I am excited to focus on our homegrown produce and amazing, healthy recipes.
This week's tip at Duffield's Farm, is about timing of meals. It is important to be prepared to prevent overeating, unhealthy food choices, and starvation/HANGRY moods. Meal timing is important for muscle gain- try to eat within 1 hour of exercise with protein and carbs to replace muscle stores. If you are not aware of what HANGRY is, it is the marriage of hungry and angry (or low blood sugar) which is never good for the person experiencing it or the people around the person. Ask my husband and parents, they are well aware of me being hangry. I am embarrassed to admit that happens to me and I try to find ways to prevent it.
For example: 
Preparing my food the night before work:
Breakfast→small snack bag with cinnamon, chia seeds, flax seeds, 1/2 cup old fashion oats (I add to hot water at work in the am) OR make egg muffins or fritta OR Ezekiel toast with PB, banana, chia seeds, flaxseeds OR vegan chocolate protein shake with spinach, 1/2 banana, flax, chia seeds
My go to Lunch→ mixed greens, sunflower, pumpkin, chia, and flax seeds, nutritional yeast, beans or chicken, red cabbage, carrots, avocado, roasted veggies, TJ carrot ginger dressing or Balsamic and olive oil AND/OR TJ butternut squash soup OR leftovers
My go to snacks→ larabars, RX bars, nuts, fruit, popcorn







My husband and I just got back from traveling to Arizona (and I am going to LA on Wednesday!). My flights are all at 6 am so we have to get up at 4 AM. I make sure to pack healthy food that is TSA approved. 
What I pack while traveling:
my small snack bag of oatmeal mix (above), banana, apples, lara bars, and nuts
 
I ask for hot water and let the oatmeal sit for a little. Make sure to bring a spoon! The flight attendant said they didn't have a spoon (and I know they have them in first class but whatever), I ate my oatmeal with a coffee stir and tilting the cup into my mouth. Ok it was no pretty, but I was not going to let that stop me from getting a health breakfast in. Also, make sure you bring healthy reading material. I like the bring my nutrition mags, fitness mags, and I am reading Chip Gaines "Capital Gaines" book.  

I love the West Coast lifestyle: hiking, healthy food places, nice weather, and nice people. Here are a few places we went while in Phonex, Tempe, Sedona, and Scottsdale. Read menus before going to make sure they offer healthy food and to help you make a decision before going to the place. Research healthy places around where you are traveling! I looked up each of these places plus more. But, I did not want to make everyone explore all these places if I was the only one excited about it. Do not worry, I did treat myself! But made sure I was able to get some exercise in as well.
https://www.nekterjuicebar.com/pages/menu
Nekter Juice Bar: The greenie
https://www.firstwatch.com/
First Watch:
Hubbys: chocolate chip pancakes vs Mine: egg white veggies omelet with salad and whole grain toast
 http://snoozeeatery.com/ 
 Snooze: An A.M eater
Hubbys: OMG French Toast vs Mine: Egg white veggies omelet with salad and whole grain toast
https://www.blastedbarley.com/menus
Blasted Barley: Super Human Bowl
In Sedona cafe where there is a Starbucks, juice/smoothies, ice cream, and a bar


The Original Chop Shop: Chicken Teriyaki with veggies and sweet potatoes PLUS kombucha on tap 

https://www.presscoffee.com/https://www.presscoffee.com/
Press Coffee: Tumeric Latte


Here is to more traveling and finding healthy places to eat. If you have any awesome options for LA, California...leave a comment!

Comments

Popular Posts